If you’ve been charged with a criminal or traffic offence you don’t have to face it alone. The outcome of your Court case might be life changing, so, to give yourself the best chance, hire one of our criminal defence lawyers.At Resolute Legal we will advise you of your rights, get you ready for your Court appearance and explain the Court procedures so you understand what’s happening. In Court we’ll defend your case clearly and strongly to give you the best possible outcome. We regularly appear in Townsville Magistrates Court and can also represent you at Mt Isa, Cairns or Brisbane Magistrates Court.
Do You Need Criminal Defence Lawyers?
The criminal justice system can be a labyrinth. Without the right kind of guidance, finding your way through it can result in a tedious and daunting journey, which never seems to get any easier. At Resolute Legal, we are the guiding hand, always by your side with the right advice, and the experience to help you navigate the road that leads to justice. Our team of criminal defence lawyers can help you with the following matters:
- Charges relating to white-collar crime
- Appeals concerned with mental health
- Various traffic violations
- Charges related to domestic violence
- Bail applications for alleged offenses
- Sentence hearings
- Appeals processes for various criminal charges
How Can Criminal Defence Lawyers Help?
If you are facing criminal charges, we strongly recommend contacting the team at Resolute Legal before speaking to the police. Facing a criminal charge is an understandably harrowing experience and having a strong legal time by your side can mean the difference between success and failure. Remember that you have the right to refuse to answer police questions until you have legal representation. This is to protect you from saying anything potentially incriminating when emotions are running high.
We assist our clients by:
- Listening to their side of the matter with empathy and patience to completely understand the situation.
- Using this understanding, we begin the process of building a case which best represents you.
- Handling every step of the criminal litigation process so you don’t have to.
- Providing honest, transparent advice and managing negotiations on your behalf.
- Committing ourselves to obtaining the best possible outcome for your case, even if there is a chance of imprisonment.
Types of Penalties
The courts may choose to issue a non-custodial sentence, which does not involve time in prison, or a custodial sentence which results in a prison term.
- Absolute release, where no conviction or penalty is recorded.
- Good behaviour bond which requires a commitment to good behaviour for a period of time and a surety involving money and/or other conditions.
- Restitution or compensation, which is an order to pay for damaged property or damages caused due to injury.
- Non-contact or banning order that bans an individual from contacting a victim or being in certain places for a specified duration of time.
- Fines to be paid as punishment for an offence. The amount will vary depending on the nature of the case.
- Community service order requiring unpaid community service for between 40–240 hours.
- Probation, which allows an individual to be part of the community while adhering to strict rules enforced regularly by a probation officer.
- Imprisonment involves time spent in prison with a conviction on a person’s record.
- Intensive correction is a prison sentence of 1 year or less which requires community service under supervision.
- A suspended sentence is when the courts decide not to carry out a prison sentence until another offence is committed which involves prison time, at which point the suspended sentence is added on to the new sentence.
- An indefinite sentence is reserved for violent and sexual offences.
Your Team of Criminal Defence Lawyers in Queensland
Criminal law firms like Resolute Legal are committed to providing you with astute, organised legal representation aimed at settling your case as quickly and favourably as possible. Contact us today to speak to an experienced criminal lawyer to be your voice.
We can handle all areas of criminal law.