Frequently Asked Questions: Domestic Violence Orders, AU

If you are in immediate danger, call 000. For 24-hour domestic violence support, call 1800RESPECT.

A Domestic Violence Order (DVO) is a legal document designed to deter an alleged perpetrator from committing further acts of domestic violence. A DVO made by the court can order the perpetrator to stay away from a home or workplace, cease contact with the victim and make it illegal to disobey these orders. It is a serious criminal offence to breach the requirements of a DVO, and doing so could result in imprisonment. A domestic violence lawyer from Resolute Legal can assist you through this. Here, we have answered the most frequently asked questions about DVOs.

Temporary Protection Order

A Temporary Protection Order (TPO) may be requested if you need a court order to protect you before a Magistrate can proceed with a full DVO. A TPO has the same protections as a DVO, making it illegal for the perpetrator to breach the requirements, but can be granted early to ensure your immediate safety.

How to Get a DVO

To apply for a DVO, there is a free online application form that can be completed by you, a police officer or your domestic violence lawyer. This can also be completed by hand and submitted in person to your local Magistrates Court. You will be required to detail instances of domestic violence. If you are finding this process difficult, family law lawyers can complete the application on your behalf.

Difference Between DVO and AVO

In short, there is no difference between an AVO and a DVO. Each Australian state grants a different Intervention Order, however, they all act to protect an aggrieved party from violence. In Queensland, a Magistrate will grant a DVO and Resolute Legal’s family law lawyers can assist in the application process.

How Long Do They Last?

A temporary DVO can be put in place until a Magistrate grants a DVO. Once this is granted, your DVO will typically last for 5 years but can be extended for longer periods.

Can I Attend Family Law Mediation?

In some cases, a DVO may be necessary whilst you are still negotiating a separation from your partner. If you are participating in family law mediation but need a DVO, an experienced lawyer can represent you in mediation, and if the matter goes to court. Resolute Legal can continue to fight for your rights whilst maintaining your safety.

If you’ve experienced domestic violence and need guidance from experienced solicitors in Townsville, contact Resolute Legal online or call 07 4724 5563.

Liability Limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation